611 - Rogue Territory: Karl Thoennessen and Leslie Yeung
All great things start out small. Rogue Territory took its first steps one pair of custom made jeans at a time and found its footing in taking that knowledge to the next organic step of ready to wear denim that took the world of premium men's fashion by storm. Karl and Leslie take us on an exploration to create what they love on their terms and let the organic demand dictate each step of the way. Rogue Territory is an expansive passion project for Karl and Leslie which now includes pants, trousers, button-ups, and a list of stockists whose love for the brand rivals their own. From pricing custom fabrics to working as a team, this interview lets you behind the scenes of a working classic brand that embodies the unchecked diligence and unbridled individuality synonymous with the mentality of its founders. Mark also sits down with Ben and Miranda of Snake Oil Provisions, a proud Rogue Territory stockist, about their perspectives on the brand, the common bond between creators, and the dream products they hope to see on shelves one day.
- The common bond of entrepreneurs, the flavor of the division of labor, and the niche of men's premium fashion and its rebirth.
- Getting your first fashionable Batsuit and showing people how things should fit.
- Developing the Working Classic style that defines Rogue Territory.
- The design of the details.
- Finding the whys, uncovering the intent, and editing out the filler.
- Breaking down the pricing for quality.
- Falling into fluidity and the unpredictability life throws at you.
- High fives, communication, and some scary aspects of working with your significant other.
- The practical things you should consider before you tell your boss to fuck off.
- The marriage between the consumer needs and your needs.
Circle Of Trust Talking Points
- Picking out the hundred hours you work and the support system that will keep you afloat.
- What feels right, common sense, and typical business practices you throw out the window.
- Starting a journey with regular guys that want the fit that works.
- Basic Karl picks out what he needs next to define a brand and the story of Argentian Trouser program.
- Avoiding crotch blowout, washing schedules for denim, and poetic ways to describe your raw denim.
- The business side of custom made fabrics.
- Building a distinct brand that innately draws the right customer.
- Are trade shows right for your brand?
- A zero dollar marketing budget and sustaining engagement.
- Indirectly and organically made in America.
- The ultimate sizing guide for Rogue Territory fits filled with the nuances and extra measurements every discerning customer needs.
Distinct vision and the fuel for passion to burn through is a rare thing. While Rogue Territory built their empire upon denim, Johnny Earle built his empire on baking but the common thread is providing an experience like no other for their customers.
Tommy Perez didn't wait for permission to make his dream, he cut up some paper and made it happen. Follow another passion project that turned into skills that pay, well... you know, the bills. Oreos, Mc Donalds and more are now lining up to work with Tommy.
Flirting with the universe can lead to some opportunities you could never predict. When Mark spent countless hours falling in love with Walt and his dream, he was unknowingly starting to fulfill one of his own that culminated at the WonderGround Gallery.