551 - Shop Talk with Billy Baumann and OKpants
Put down the pitchfork and get ready for some Shop Talk with Mark Billy, and OKpants. The wide world of comics bookends today's episodes with some controversial opinions about the best Bruce Banner and a long look at the film Logan. From finding your tribe to talking about your work without doing any of it, the boys examine their formative years as creatives and what motivated them. Mark puts out a new ethics code on constructive criticism and when it should be given while Aaron argues it might just be a new facet to tolerate on the world wide wide web. This is the hangout you need with the friends you love to get you through the final push of the week. Antics ensue.
- OKpants 2.0 as Pants Pantsly the divorced aunt from 2024 or as the Barb of AID.
- The mind shift at your forties to become the person you want to be.
- Is the ship going down or are you looking for a way out?
- The only asset you need in life to do what you want.
- Ben Affleck is the best Batman.
- Forgiveness and directing.
- The weakness of Wizard World in Cleveland.
- Pent up perverts that need some cautionary signage.
- Comic shop geeks and their hypothetical lives.
- Growing up normal and the paradigm of coolness.
- Community college, art school, and careers in the creative world.
- Blue collar perspectives on white collar privilege on the approach to "work."
- The debate of art.
- The importance of critiquing your work while you're working on it and not when you're finished with it.
- Embodying the constructive spirit with your comments and not slipping into the ego centric musings about similarity.
- Pitchfork campaigns from posts without proper context that cost people their jobs.
- A new class emerges and unhealthy habits in children.
- Understanding various cultural niches and doing the right thing.
- Changing neighborhoods, racist self defense 101, and standing up to end a meeting.
- Getting cc'ed on some bad thoughts.
- Movie trailer swearing, AID language, and defining explicit.
- Wolverine or... and getting outnerded.
- A review of Logan and Old Man Logan.
- It takes Deadpool for Hollywood to finally make a dark superhero comic book film.
- Keep it dark and bleak.
- Storytelling with too many elements and the suits that ruin it by crowbarring in too many elements.
It doesn't matter where you went to school... this Shop Talk gets deep into screenprinting tips and tricks from three hardened veterans of the squeegee.
Back when AID Barb was still considered a special guest on Shop Talks everyone got into a great discussion about properly pricing your work.
What sort of brushes does our favorite New Yorker use? This Shop Talk gets into the nitty gritty of how James Flames does what he does. Antics ensue.