405 - Jordan Buckley
The human hurricane Jordan Buckley, guitarist in Every Time I Die and designer at JBWW.com, returns to Adventures In Design with a slew of exciting announcements. Get a first hand account of the Warped Tour life as a musician, as a booth monkey, or in Jordan's case both. ETID just finished a new record and the interview covers the process of collaborative creation and focusing your creativity towards a specific goal. Last time Jordan was on AID he had just landed a gig branding this summer's Warped Tour. This job pushed his artistic abilities, his time management, and workflow to whole new levels and squashed any amount of imposter's syndrome that might have been lingering in the back of his head. Next level antics ensue.
- Empathizing with Warped Tour Merch Guys and Booth Placement Strategies.
- Giving your employee a dog in the fight.
- How Mark influenced Good Charlotte.
- Even Tom DeLong wants to listen to more Every Time I Die.
- Using your downtime to create a stream of passive income.
- Pythons gossip and the glory of @andycomplains.
- The trouble with temporary song titles.
- Changing your style as you mature as an artist.
- Art that balances longetivity with being in the moment.
- Outlasting the typical timespan in your career.
- Creating each element of a piece individually to ensure its quality.
- How not to talk to a drummer and avoiding riff soup.
- Deliberately putting yourself in new situations to discover new possibilities.
- Is it better to creatively collaborate or have work on one person's flexible vision.
- Writing a solo is easy!
- Using a fulfillment merch company and their cut of your profits.
- Learning in the age of YouTube.
- iPad Pro or Wacom: a story of power.
- Motivation for validation.
- Walking through a world you created.
- Being a workaholic and having a family.
- Moving on in a project to come back later and improve what you're doing.
- Stepping out of your comfort zones to grow as an artist and learn about yourself.
- Relying on friends to delegate what you don't know how to do.
- Gaining confidence in your abilities and turning weaknesses into strengths.
- The burgeoning AID scene.
- Bills or Rams?