374 - Shop Talk with Billy Baumann and Jason Edmiston
Special guest Jason Edmiston joins Mark and Billy for today's Shop Talk. Fresh off his timed edition release for The Hateful Eight, Jason offers up insight to the entire process from ideation to the crucial final touches that sets his artwork apart from the rest. Billy has just moved Delicious into its new home and he shares with us the whole experience of what its like to buy, build out, and fill up a new office location. Somehow we manage to squeeze in a bit of off topic ball busting, but be ready for some serious note taking throughout today's episode as three masters of their craft swap stories and share advice on everything from workflow to conference calls. Some antics ensue.
- An entire breakdown of timed editions from the artist's perspective.
- Conceptualizing The Hateful Eight poster with both Mondo and QT's Studio execs.
- Working with people who aren't artists and the importance in showing them what you'll do versus telling them what you'll do.
- Being resourceful to create your work.
- Billy learns the lesson to measure twice and build once.
- How to budget time and finances for a new commercial space for your growing studio.
- Changes in media distribution to account for disruptive outlets.
- The curse of the Chicago Fire posters.
- The pros and cons of printing for yourself or outsourcing.
- Financial ceilings in the art world and how that affects your budget.
- Switching between digital and physical art.
- What a $34 dollar phone call sounds like.
- Cultivating a network of artists to draw upon when you have too many projects to handle and how to budget your time, their time, and who is ultimately responsible for a project.
- Musings on the life of Jabba The Hut (sponsored by Allen Campbell Art)
- Tips on creating cohesiveness and dimensionality in your artwork
- The social effects of having lead characters that aren't white males and how media desensitizes the next generation to hot button issues of racism and sexism.
- Do you separate an artist's personal life from their work when you have a personal problem with one.